If you're new to our club, and have not taken Pre-CanSkate or Canskate before, please take a few moments to allow us to introduce you to our program.
CanSkate is a program for beginner skaters aged 5 and up who are able to stand up and move around competently on the ice. Ribbons and badges are awarded as skaters master the fundamentals of skating (balance, gliding, edging, speed and so on). Once your skater has passed CanSkate 5, he/she will be qualified to join the Novice session. At the Novice level, skaters begin to learn the basics of figure skating. CanSkate is a fun program with 30 minutes of instruction plus practice time per session and an exceptionally low skater-to-coach ratio.
Click here to download our Canskate Information Presentation.
Click here to see a sample progress report and the requirements for each stage.
Please have a look at the Skate Canada information page for CanSkaters - including all badges and ribbons. SKATE CANADA CANSKATE PAGE
Equipment for Pre-CanSkate/CanSkate (see also equipment info):
- Helmet: CSA approved helmets are mandatory for CanSkaters until they have passed CanSkate stage 5.
- Skate guards: All skaters must have skate guards on their blades when not on the ice, including in the arena lobby.
- Skates: We recommend “lace-up” skates, as they provide the best support, allow proper movement, and accommodate adjustable fit. The skate’s boot must be firm, and must provide good support to the foot and ankle.
- Warm clothing: Skaters should dress warmly and comfortably to enjoy their skating experience and enhance their skating skills. Snow pants or nylon pants over top of layers of clothing are a good idea as they provide warmth and dryness during the session.
- Parents must stay in the arena where their child can see them at all times during the session. Skaters must never be left at the arena alone.
- Please ensure that your children enter and exit the ice only from their designated gate.
- Parents are encouraged to watch from the stands to allow our coaches to have the children's full attention during the session. Please do not stand by the glass.
Here's a great clip from Skate Canada - Figure skating champions and hockey stars have all benefited from this national program.