Markham Skating Club’s Novice session begins after CanSkate 5 and is designed for those skaters interested in progressing further and learning the basic disciplines of figure skating – including skills, ice dance and freeskate.
Novice sessions are longer than CanSkate sessions. Skaters are expected to practice on their own when they are not in a lesson in order to develop the individual areas he/she needs. Each session includes:
- 10 minute stroking class
- Two 10 minute group lessons
- Skating dress/skirt with tights, or skating pants and a sweater
- Proper lace-up figure skates (not hockey skates)
- Long hair must be tied back
- Hoodies are not acceptable skating attire; they can affect balance and make it difficult for coaches to see proper alignment of the back and neck.
- Parents must stay in the arena where their child can see them at all times. Skaters must never be left at the arena alone.
- Skaters are to enter and exit the ice only from their designated gate.
- In order to ensure skaters give coaches their full attention throughout the session, parents are encouraged to watch from the stands. Please do not stand by the glass.
- Skate guards are mandatory. All skaters must have guards on their blades when not on the ice, both for safety reasons and to keep blades sharp.
- Helmets are not required at the Novice level.